Where Shavar Stands on Education
- Shavar does not support the closing of any public schools this year, and maintains that this should only be done as a last resort option.
Shavar wholeheartedly supports parental choice; he believes that parents, not politicians, should decide where their children attend school, whether it's traditional public or public charter.
Shavar’s vision of Newark is one where each child in Newark receives an education comparable to that of the most affluent and competitive districts in our great state. It is a vision in which each K-12 classroom has a competent, committed teacher at its helm; each principal has the resources at his or her disposal to serve the children who walk through the school’s doors each day; and each school makes provisions for the education of every child regardless of their ward, family background, ethnic heritage, or language status.
- Emphasizing a strong foundation for our youngest residents, and relevant training for our adult population, a Jeffries administration will champion the cause of the #1 factor of social change and sustained progress: Education.
Shavar has done more in support of Newark Public Schools than any other mayoral candidate in this race; through his litigation that returned more than $30 million dollars to the NPS budget and other work during his service as Advisory Board President, he has championed education in Newark. Shavar filed a lawsuit against the state that produced millions of dollars in new services and compensatory education for special-needs children, allowing the district to provide our children with much needed programs and resources.
- Drawing from his experiences as the founding chairperson of a public charter school board, and the former chair of the advisory board of Newark Public Schools, Shavar advocates a multi-faceted approach to educating our children:
- improving and supporting the teaching workforce;
- expanding learning time for children;
- ensuring that there are community resources to attend to the socio-emotional aspects of a child’s life that impede learning
- appropriately funding all worthwhile initiatives so that they can be fully enacted
Shavar supports the continuing fight to regain local control of the Newark Public Schools, in a responsible way. During Shavar’s tenure of service as President of the Newark Public Schools Advisory Board, Newark scored above 80% in four of the five state monitored categories. Shavar will encourage key state legislators to enact legislation to clearly specify steps for return of local control.
Do you like this page?